Chicken and Turkey Bacon Orzo Soup (prep time 10 min, cook time 35 min, makes 8 servings)
- 7 slices turkey bacon
- 3 cups yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup orzo
- chopped fresh parsley to taste
- Cook the turkey bacon and get rid of the dripping. Set bacon aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots to the pan with a pinch of salt. Cook the vegetables on medium heat for several minutes.
- Lay the chicken breast on top of the vegetables and cover with the chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Once it has cooled slightly, use 2 forks to shred the meat. Set aside.
- Bring the soup to a boil and add the orzo. Cook for 8 minutes, uncovered, until the orzo is al dente.
- Add the chicken back to the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dice the reserved turkey bacon. Garnish each bowl with fresh parsley and diced bacon before serving.