Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (prep time 20 min, makes 14 bars, 2 bars = 1 serving)
- 1 3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/3 cups sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup creamy unsalted almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 8 to 9 inch square baker with parchment paper, cut to size. In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, almonds, chocolate chips, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk all the liquid ingredients together then pour into the dry ingredients. Use a big spoon to mix them together until the two are evenly combined and no dry oats remain. The drier the mixture, the more firm the bars will be, so stir in extra oats if the mixture seems wet.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared square baker. Use your spoon to arrange the mixture fairly evenly, then use the bottom of a flat, round surface (like a short, sturdy drinking glass), covered in a small piece of parchment paper to pack the mixture down as firmly and evenly as possible.
- Cover ad refrigerate at least an hour, or overnight. Use a sharp knife to slice the bars. For portability, you can wrap individual bars in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Bars keep well for a couple days at room temperature, but I recommend storing individually wrapped bars in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer for best flavor.