Eggroll in a Bowl (prep time 5 min, cook time 20 min, makes 8 servings)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded carrots (about 6 carrots)
- 6 celery sticks, chopped
- 16 cups shredded cabbage (about 4 pounds)
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 8 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tsp sesame oil (can substitute olive or avocado oil)
- chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Protein add-ins: 4 eggs or 2 lbs deveined cleaned shrimp, optional ( you can keep it meatless)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, carrots and celery about 5 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cabbage, mushrooms, and soy sauce along with a splash of water to help prevent sticking. The water should immediately sizzle when you add it to the pan, creating steam.
- Cover the skillet and lower the heat, cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on how crunchy or soft you want the vegetables to be. Stir in the sesame oil as soon as the vegetables are tender so that it’s not exposed to too much heat.
- If you’d like to add in some eggs or shrimp to the dish, move the cooked vegetables to the edge of the pan to create a well in the center. Add a touch more oil and scramble or sauté the protein directly in the pan until cooked through. Stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired, then serve warm with a topping of green onions and sesame seeds.